It’s 12:56 AM… California is straddling between Tuesday and Wednesday. The latter of course being Preview Night for San Diego Comic Con. To brag about how little sleep I’ve had seems like kind of a wasted effort knowing the kind of people who would decide to stumble upon my inaugural blog post.
Yes, yes. We’re all really fucking awesome and running on fumes. I literally just turned to Holly (who is fussing with costumes) and said the following, “Oh my god, it’s too late to be moody. We need to be happy. HAPPY!” Now we’re eating fruit snacks and feeling a bit deranged.
But somehow, that will all change tomorrow morning (god I hope we leave on time) when we get in the car and turn on the iPod and play our San Diego Nerd Prom Mix Tape. Well actually it’s an iPhone. Who still uses an iPod? I remember when it was a CD and we had to actually be mindful of things like size. Now that I’m reminiscing, remember ACTUAL mix tapes? Erm, I better quit.This is getting into that uncomfortable stereotypical observational humor that totally falls flat on an open mic night at the cheesy comedy club that also tries to pass itself off as a steakhouse. Just pick ONE specialty. Is it steak or bad stand-up performed by college students and the occasional midlife crisis?!
Right. Every year, we put together a playlist of the songs that meant the most to both of us between July and July. Songs we listened to while we worked. Music that empowered us when the world made us feel like losers and also guilty for all our first world problems. Soundtracks that shaped who we are. And crazy shit that is just too awesome to not be exposed to now and again.
This year’s mix is bigger than ever, so no matter where you are and how much time you have to kill, we’ve compiled enough strange and delightful tunes to get you in the Comic Con spirit. The last song always remains the same and we don’t play it until we leave, Stuart Murdoch’s “On Another Saturday” (I actually titled my Master’s dissertation after this song!). We aren’t doing the big Masquerade this year, but there’s always something special about Saturday at SDCC.
The theme for this year is Revolution (for reasons I’ll explain if you get me drunk at the hotel bar). If I pass someone humming one of these tunes, I’m going to assume you read this. Actually, if you happen to see me, definitely start whistling something from the mix. Just do it. I have so little joy in my life.
- Big Show Theme (Ren and Stimpy)
- Young Men Dead (Black Angel)
- Alpha Beta Gaga (Air)
- I Need A Hero (Bonnie Tyler)
- Back to the Future Theme (Alan Silvestri)
- Wanderlust King (Gogol Bordello)
- Staggered / Mass Effect 3 “Purgatory Bar” (Ekstrak)
- Kick Ass/We Are Young (Mika)
- White and Nerdy (Weird Al)
- Sherlock Holmes Theme/Discombobulate (Hans Zimmer)
- E.T. (Katy Perry ft Kanye West)
- Flagpole Sitta (Harvey Danger)
- Cartoon Heroes (Aqua)
- Twisted Nerve (Bernard Herrmann)
- We Can Make the World Stop (Glitch Mob)
- I’m the One That’s Cool (Felicia Day & the Guild)
- Danger Zone (Kenny Loggins)
- Extra Extra (Beats Antique)
- It’s Raining Men (Weather Ladies)
- God Bless the Ottoman Empire (A Hawke and a Hacksaw)
- S&M (Rihanna)
- Das Malefitz/Mass Effect 3 Credits (Faunts)
- On Another Saturday (Stuart Murdoch)
It’s 2:04 AM now. Officially Wednesday. San Diego Comic Con, bring it! Also, someone bring me some energy drinks.